Thursday 9 June 2011

My take on fitness

My fitness 'journey' began a couple of years ago. Initially I started in order to lose a few extra pounds but I hated every minute of it, which of course lead to me often giving up easily. After a few weeks, I would somehow talk myself into starting to work out again, but again, I would give up soon after. You get the picture - vicious circle. 

However, somewhere along the way I started to enjoy it. It wasn't so much that I was seeing results, but I was getting the post workout energy buzz. When I say I love working out, I don't mean it in a crazy-need-to-workout-every-minute kinda way, it's more because I can feel (and see) the benefits of it. So I got serious.

I don't believe in obssessing over the scales. Frankly, because I think one can find something more productive to do that freak out over piling on 2lbs overnight, which turns out to be just water. Of course, I understand that it might help some people on their weight-loss journey, the scale I mean, not the freaking out part. Saying that one should be an "average" weight is a somwhat narrow-mided view because we are all different and our weight, shapes and sizes differ greatly due to race, activity levels, body shapes etc. Therefore I prefer to monitor my progress through body fat percentage. In general the healthy body fat percentage of women is between 17% - 24% , this varies slightly depending on race. This takes into account those look slim but have a high body fat percentage and will give you a better idea of how healthy you are exactly.

As a women, we hold on to more fat naturally, and we need this to maintain a regulated menstrual cycle and of course during pregnancy. Some of us are naturally blessed with curves in the right places and others work diligently to maintain a lean physique. Whatever your shape though, the best way forward is to accept your blessed and not-so-blessed bits and work towards being in the best shape that YOU can be.


Since January, my body fat percentage has gone down 5% . Yaaay! I'm very pleased, specially since I didn't give up chocolate. Oh yh, did I mention that am a chocoholic? My main meals tend to be healthy most of the time, I don't have a problem with that, but I can't seem to be able to kick the chocolate habit, maybe because deep down I don't really want to...


2 comments:

  1. No don't give up chocolate, it is one of the only pure unadulterated pleasure in life, why would you do that? If that makes you feel better dark chocolate has a lot of antioxidants, but i am sure that you know already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have described it better! "pure unadulterated pleasure" ;)

    ReplyDelete